Give NO ID to police
Are you being stopped or hassled on the street by police who have nothing on you? Maybe you want to download, print, and carry the “No ID” card. As the NO ID legal experts say, “except in limited circumstances, it is not an offence to refuse to identify yourself.” In other words, while there are SOME situations where you have to give police ID, there are MANY times when you DO NOT have to tell police who you are. Click here to learn more.
Winnipeg Bad Date List
- Have you had a bad experience with a client that you want to report to other sex workers? Click here to learn how to do that.
Local Legal Resources
- Community Safety Orders (CSOs) – what is a CSO and how can they impact sex workers?
- Sex Work & The Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods Act – thank you Pro Bono Students Canada!
- Sex Work, Kinky Sex & the Law (downloadable postcard) – printer-friendly black-&-white version
- Sex Work, Kinky Sex & the Law (downloadable postcard) – colour version
- Disclosure of HIV Status & the Law postcard [Coming soon]
- What to Expect from C-36: An info guide to new sex work laws from the Winnipeg Working Group (December 2014)
- Legal Help Centre – Free. Requires in-person meeting and disclosure of reason for consulting. Drop-in legal clinic two days a week in Portage Place Mall. Drop-in clients can meet with law students (supervised by lawyers) to access free legal information (not advice). Consultation can help people to figure out whether there is anything that can be done, from a legal standpoint, for their issue. Consultation can also help people to figure out the scope of their issue (how big the issue is, legally speaking).
- Community Legal Education Association (CLEA) – Free legal phone-in consultation service. Call to speak with a lawyer and get free legal information. Callers leave a brief message and CLEA calls you back. They can refer you to a lawyer, who will provide up to 30 minutes of free consultation on your issue.
- Street Connections – Mobile outreach program. Weekly newsletter, ‘bad date’ sheet, and online map where you can find free condoms, harm reduction supplies, and testing.
- Sunshine House – Community drop-in and resource centre.
- Our Place Safe Space (OPSS) – Inclusive safe space in the west end of Winnipeg for all those who identify as being involved in the sex trade.
- Nine Circles Community Health Centre – Drop-in STI & HIV testing, free safer sex supplies.
- Sage House – A program of Mount Carmel Clinic. Services & drop in for sex workers and street-involved women.
- PACE Society’s Sex Workers’ Tax Toolkit – Published in 2018. Learn how to file your taxes.
Canadian Organizations and Groups
- PIVOT Legal (Vancouver)
- STRUT (Toronto)
- Stella (Montreal)
Sex Worker Blogs
- Red Umbrella Babies – Sex work and parenting